Yes, dogs can eat watermelon. Watermelon is one of the most consumed fruits in summer, and dogs can eat watermelon without any problem.
Watermelon is a fruit rich in water and fiber that can benefit our furry friends, especially in summer.Who has not given a fresh piece of watermelon to their dog? .
Can my dog eat fruit?
A dog should eat a diet rich in protein and animal fats, but he does not eat that exclusively. They need other plant-based foods to get essential nutrients, such as fruits and vegetables.
In the case of fruits, they provide important minerals and vitamins. They are an excellent substitute for commercial sweets. These foods are high in fiber and low in fat.
What should be taken into account is that most fruits are high in sugar. For this reason, the amount of fruit and vegetables should not exceed 15% of the daily food ration.
Not all fruits are good for dogs either, and some have certain compounds that can be difficult to digest. Others can even be toxic, such as grapes.
Can dogs eat watermelon?
Dogs can safely eat watermelon. In addition, it is highly recommended to give a piece of this fruit during the hottest months. It is a food with a very high percentage of water, providing hydration.
As with all fruits, its sugar content means that we should not go overboard with the amount of fruit we eat per day, including watermelon.
As many fruits are not toxic for furry ones, it is best to vary the fruit every day for a more varied and balanced diet.
Benefits of watermelon for dogs
Fruits are beneficial for dogs. In addition, it is a low-calorie food in the specific case of watermelon. It is perfect as a snack for dogs that need to lose weight.
It is also not very high in sugars compared to other fruits. It also has many other characteristics that make it a beneficial food for our dogs:
- Rich in water: 90% of the composition is water, which is very moisturizing.
- Citrulline: is an intermediate in the synthesis of arginine, an important amino acid in creating proteins. It is also anatural vasodilator.
- Digestive and diuretic properties.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Rich in Vitamin A and C.
- Rich in minerals such as calcium and iron.
- Low in calories.
How do I give my dog watermelon?
If you have decided to give this fruit to your dog, we give you some recommendations:
- Eliminate shell (it is very high in fiber and can make you feel bad).
- Remove the seeds if you have them.
- Cut not very large pieces.
- Introduce the food gradually in case it doesn’t feel good.
- Do not exceed 10-15% of the total food ration.
- You can prepare a delicious watermelon ice cream for the summer.